I don’t know what 2019 will hold, I’m hoping it will be a blessed year (iA). One thing I am certain about is that for as long as I live, I will never forget 2018. It was a painful, difficult, exhausting year but faith got me through it. I was inspired by Nafisa’s year in review to do my own this year, especially since I’ve started to blog more.
So here goes.
1. What did you do in 2018 that you’d never done before?
I got published in Saffron, a collection of personal narratives by Muslim women.
I co-hosted a charity event planned in 3 weeks, selling 600 tickets.
I attended and assisted with a ghusl.
I held a really tiny preemie baby and assisted my sister in law as she confined at my home.
Took the Harties Cableway and saw the entire city from a different view.
Went for surgery, I was postponing for 3 years.
I was invited to the Stylish Bakers pastry school where we spent the entire day making delicious french pastries.
Started creating lifestyle content for my blog.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t really do news years resolutions. I set out 3 tasks to complete for the year, and I completed them. I am hoping to do the same for next year.
3. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
With close family, good food and lots of laughter.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes, my mother in law passed away. My best friend lost her dad. This year was fraught with profound losses.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?
I want to get better at meal planning and execution.
I also plan to incorporate more physical activity in my life.
I want to cut down on my time on social media by deleting selected apps from my phone.
Travel more, iA.
7. What date from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
11 February 2018, it was my a day before my husbands birthday and also the day my mother in law passed away.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I am proud of myself for keeping it all together even when things around me were falling apart.
My radio show also remains my one of my proudest achievements, I work hard to create quality and relevant content. My show won an award for the best daily show on Cii Radio, earlier this year.
I was also thrilled with the reach of my involvement in the Pink Dress Campaign.
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, but I had a long painful recovery from surgery that was unfortunately not successful.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My husband bought me a MacBook.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Food and entertaining family and friends (no regrets)
13. What song will always remind you of 2018?
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Read more books.
Do more charity work.
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Mindlessly scroll through Instagram.
16. What was your favourite TV program?
One Day at a Time.
17. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t hate anyone.
18. What was the best book you read?
Becoming by Michelle Obama
19. What was your greatest musical discovery?
20. What was your favourite film of this year?
21. What did you do on your birthday?
I hosted a party for Umair and his friends (his birthday is a day before mine). My birthday was a low key affair spent with those closest to me.
22. What kept you sane?
23. Who did you miss?
My dadi, I miss her more and more, every single day.
24. Who was the best new person you met?
I meet the most amazing people through my show. An interview that really stands out is my chat with Nafisa Grey. I am so inspired by her spirit and positive energy.
25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2018:
When faced with mortality in your own family you realise how fleeting this life is. Spend your days with those you who make your soul happy and make memories. Also, take pictures of important moments.
Saffron Launch. April 2018
Panel Discussion led by Ayesha Kajee at the Saffron book launch.
Voted best Daily Show by our listeners. May 2018
The best day filled with the creating the most beautiful pastries. Stylish Bakers Tartemet Course. Feb 2018.